Saturday 6 September 2014

The Purchase

I have been on the lookout for a speedboat for a number of years. Always leaning towards the cuddy variety. I spent many a wet Saturday trawling ebay and other websites dreaming of sunny weekends in a Cornish cove.

More recently i spotted a Broom 16 ft from the 1960's. Completely wooden in construction, those romantic dreams came back with a vengeance. Unfortunately, the bidding spiralled out of control and so to did the dream.

Deciding to drown my sorrows over a few beers with a friend, I recounted the excitement of the find, and then the subsequent dismay of missing out. Throughout the tail he sat with a smug grin. As a fellow boat enthusiast, it had got to the point where I thought he was going to tell me that he was the successful bidder. So I questioned him. What came next was sheer delight......

It turned out that his father had a Broom from the 1970's in a garage, just down the road, that he'd been looking sell for the last 10 years. He did warn me that it needed a bit of work and it didn't come with an engine.  24 hours later the deal was done. I am the proud owner of, what I believe is a Broom Saturn.

With an impending house move, I agreed to pick the boat up a couple of weeks later.



As you can see she's missing most of the interior, could do with a good wash and generally needs a bit of love. 

I will keep you updated as to my progress. The plan is to have her ready to go by next summer.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,
    Just bought a 15ft broom, planning to convert her to a centre console boat for fishing out of - aiming for a similar timeline to you - next summer
    Baz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This webpage might interest you, previous refurb of a saturn

    http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~dumbrill/photo_saturn.htm

    Baz

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~dumbrill/photo_old.htm

    ReplyDelete